The city of Johnston is another fast-growing Northern suburb of the Des Moines Metro area. Johnston is home to numerous businesses and organizations, parks and bike trails. There is always something planned in the area and public services and events are easy to find. Check out some of the area amenities.
Parks – a couple unique finds among many
- Johnston Commons is a 14-acre neighborhood park located near the library, at the intersection of Merle Hay Road and Northglenn Drive. Johnston Commons is the site of the annual Green Days Celebration. The Johnston Commons is the site of the Johnston Public Library, Simpson Barn, and Johnston Station Historical Society.
- Dewey Park includes picnic area/shelters, walking trails, play equipment, soccer field, backstop, basketball, restrooms and off-street parking. Features an ADA accessible play structure with decks, slides and climbers and a large play structure.
- Simpson Barn is a restored barn that can be rented for your special event. Contact City of Johnston Parks Department for reservations.
Sports / Golf Courses / Health Clubs / Pools
- Hyperion Field Club – Family friendly country club – golf, tennis, swimming, fitness, and dining. Resident and Non-Resident Memberships available.
- Crossroads Shooting Sports – Indoor range, pro shop, training, and events. Multiple membership options
- Kosama – Group classes, boot camps, personal training
- WDM Library – Books, Public Access Computers, Children’s programs, Clubs, photocopiers, DVD, movies, Library on wheel program
Shopping / Retail
Annual Community Event
- Kite Festival is the first Saturday in May at Johnston Commons. Music, display, food and games/contests
- Green Days is a yearly celebration with parade, fair, breakfast/dinner event and safety expo. Held the third weekend in June each year.
- Weekly Farmer’s Markets – May thru October 3:30-6:30 pm at City Hall
- Every May, residents wait patiently for the very popular Farmers’ Market to open just outside city hall.
- Jazz in July–weekly jazz concerts in the park.
Chamber of Commerce
City of Johnston
- Johnston City Hall All public services in the area, human services, projects, and community events
Schools – Public, Private, Community College, Universities