2020 has been challenging in so many ways, for so many people. But we still try to help local organizations; not only do these organizations benefit, but we emotionally and physically feel better. At Home Sweet Des Moines we try to have a giver mindset in all we do. We love helping individuals and families find homes for their needs, enjoy putting people in contact with others, and love seeing others thrive. We also love helping quite a few of these nonprofits listed below: we personally have given to Pi 515, Furry Friends, Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa, and Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity in the past few months.
Here is the ongoing list of Des Moines / Central Iowa nonprofits that we (and our clients!) love. These suggestions allow for different levels of contribution.
- Pi 515 (Pursuit of Innovation) – This organization’s mission is to challenge, inspire and teach technology skills to students with potential – empowering refugee and underserved youth to achieve success, garner influence, and gain stability in their families and communities.
- Variety- the Children’s Charity is a multi-faceted organization with one simple mission: To help improve the lives of underprivileged, at-risk, critically ill, and special needs children throughout Iowa.
- ValorFit – ValorFit is committed to the belief that a Veteran’s confidence and self-worth isn’t left on the battlefield but is renewed through purposeful daily activity within a dedicated local community of group fitness facilities and gyms designed to drive strength, wellness, and to foster meaningful relationships that inspire individual success, growth, and empowerment.
- ALZ Iowa – The mission of the Alzheimer Association is to eliminate the disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected, and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
- Furry Friends – This nonprofit organization seeks to assist all area animals in need through a variety of programs including adoptions, spay and neuter, community outreach, and humane education. Additionally, the organization has partnered with WestPet Animal Control to provide housing, reunification, and adoption programs for stray animals in the Des Moines metro area
- Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa – Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa (GSGI) is a leadership development organization for girls that offers every girl a chance to practice a lifetime of leadership, adventure, and success. GSGI’s mission is to build courage, confidence, and character within girls who can make the world a better place.
- Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity– Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope. Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, GDM Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses alongside our homebuyer families.
- Dorothy’s House – Dorothy’s House provides a safe place for the practice of life for those teen and youth girls whose lives have been interrupted by the sex trafficking industry.
Thanks for listening along on this year’s journey with us. We wish you all a wonderful holiday season filled with life, love, laughter, and gratitude.