If you’ve followed Home Sweet Des Moines for a little while, you may have noticed that Tawnia, Jeannie, and I are huge believers in the saying that “a rising tide lifts all boats.”
Over the past six years, we have been blessed to serve hundreds of families in their journeys to their next step, whether that’s a new home to buy or a previous home to sell.
One way that we show our gratitude is to share our time and money with various nonprofit organizations in the Des Moines community. Some in this community are still recovering from the pandemic and the unique challenges posed in 2020 and 2021. Others have found unexpected prosperity from these challenges. If you fall in the second bucket, we encourage you to check out your favorite causes and assist… every little bit helps.
If you’re looking for causes to support, here are some of our favorites (and those suggested to us by our clients):
- Pi 515 (Pursuit of Innovation) – This organization’s mission is to challenge, inspire and teach technology skills to students with potential – empowering refugee and underserved youth to achieve success, garner influence and gain stability in their families and communities.
- Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity– Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope. Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, GDM Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses alongside our homebuyer families. By the way, we donate $50 from every sale to Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity and volunteer annually, so when you use our services to buy or sell a home, you’re helping this wonderful organization.
- Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa – Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa (GSGI) is a leadership development organization for girls that offers every girl a chance to practice a lifetime of leadership, adventure, and success. GSGI’s mission is to build courage, confidence, and character within girls who can make the world a better place.
- KIAP Foundation – The KIAP Foundation is a new organization filing for its nonprofit status in 2022. It is dedicated to funding martial arts training for underserved youth, with the belief that the principles gained during consistent martial arts training enable those recipients to grow their lives for the long-term. You may not know this, but I have trained in martial arts for over 25 years, so I’m well aware of the positive impacts of this training. Full disclosure: I act as secretary on the KIAP Foundation board.
- Variety- the Children’s Charity is a multi-faceted organization with one simple mission: To help improve the lives of underprivileged, at-risk, critically ill and special needs children throughout Iowa.
- ValorFit – ValorFit is committed to the belief that a Veteran’s confidence and self-worth isn’t left on the battlefield but is renewed through purposeful daily activity within a dedicated local community of group fitness facilities and gyms designed to drive strength, wellness, and to foster meaningful relationships that inspire individual success, growth, and empowerment.
- ALZ Iowa – The mission of the Alzheimer Association is to eliminate the disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
- Furry Friends – This nonprofit organization seeks to assist all area animals in need through a variety of programs including adoptions, spay and neuter, community outreach, and humane education. Additionally, the organization has partnered with WestPet Animal Control to provide housing, reunification, and adoption programs for stray animals in the Des Moines metro area
- Dorothy’s House – Dorothy’s House provides a safe place for the practice of life for those teen and youth girls whose lives have been interrupted by the sex trafficking industry. This particular organization is one of Tawnia’s favorites!
Thanks for joining us on this year’s journey. Jeannie, Tawnia, and I wish you all a wonderful holiday season filled with life, love, laughter, and gratitude.
Licensed in the state of Iowa
Home Sweet Des Moines – RE/MAX Precision