Every person selling home wants their home to sell quickly for a large profit, but it takes more than luck to make this happen. It involves some upfront work, so let’s put your best foot forward. Here are 7 tips to get your home into shape and ready to sell this year.
- Depersonalize – Start with your personal items, like family photos, sports team memorable and your collections. Time to start packing. You want visitors to see a clean slate that lets them visualize how the home might look filled with their own items. Buy some store bins or get boxes from the grocery store and then consider renting a storage unit and get some of those items put into temporary holding.
- Declutter – We all have piles of paper, and closets that are overflowing with unused items. This is the best time to donate, file or trash items that we no longer use or reference. Check out how to do this in Des Moines. Overstuffed closets give the appearance that your home doesn’t have enough storage space. Note – if you have electronic accounts for utilities and bills, you really don’t need to keep all those paper statements.
- Make repairs – In today’s market, you want your home to be in the best condition possible. Take care of problem like broken windows, holes in drywall or leaking faucets that could turn buyers away and show that you have not kept up with maintenance. Need a handyman?
- Tone down wall colors – You might like the red dining room wall, but it may turn buyers away. Paint the walls a neutral color that will appeal to a wide range of buyers. If you are not a painter, check out our vendor list.
- Clean or repairs floors – Stains on carpet or holes on steps. This is the time to do some carpet cleaning, repairs or replacing. Wipe down floorboards and replace rugs. Check out some of our vendors.
- Make the front door/entry hallway inviting – Take a good look at your front door and what is looks like when you walk in your door. Consider washing it down or a fresh coat of paint. Time to put out a new welcome mat. Let buyers know they’re invited into your home.
- Wash and eliminate bad odors – Wash out trash cans. litter boxes and dog beds. Lots of hidden odors are in these items. When showing the home, place these items in a garage or storage area. Rather than air sprays, start up a diffuser with essentials oils and wipe down surfaces with a mild cleaner. Clean smells always make a great first impression and the shine will be noticed.
Call a Realtor – Make an appointment with an experienced realtor and chat about your plans and timing. Home Sweet Des Moines provides you with a complete guide on what to expect when selling your home, a home evaluation and when it is time to our staff has a stager on staff to assists you with furniture layout and décor placement.